In two days National Novel Writing Month begins. It’s a month where a bunch of aspiring writers/creatives get together online and in
their communities with the goal of writing a 50, 000 word novel in the 30 days of November. That’s a small novel around the size of the Great Gatsby which you likely read in High School.
I first found out about it online when I was just two months into my degree. I was eager to try but I thought, ‘this is crazy, I’m super busy with my university classes, how could I ever find the time?’ and then I realized something important: my life was only going to get busier and busier from that year on (which I was right about). So I decided to do it.
It was marvellously thrilling. Not every step of the way, there were times when I hated it and wanted to quit. But 30 days isn’t that long. The story itself was crap and I dealt with the concept very childishly, but hey, I was 18 and I wrote a novel.
10 reasons why you should do nanowrimo this year:
- It will open your mind creatively.
- It will help you realize the things that aren’t all that important in your schedule.
- You can draw off this experience of doing something hard and finishing it.
- You can say you’ve written a novel.
- You will learn something about yourself.
- You will learn to write every day.
- You’ll have the thrill of writing in coffee shops, and staying up to bizarre hours, all while holding down a job/degree.
- You don’t have to be a perfect writer (see No Plot? No Problem!).
- You will build confidence.
- Win or lose, you will rock for even trying.
Like I said, when I look back I knew my story was pretty awful. The point was never to be a good writer, but to get the process of writing started. I had to kill the snob in me who said, “I will only write if it’s good.” You’ll probably have to kill the snob in you too. THAT’S ALWAYS A GOOD THING. Writers who don’t write aren’t writers. They’re just people who like literature.
As an aside, every year I contemplate doing it again. After browsing that website, it really made me want to do it again. I have approximately ONE day to decide. Gulp.